About the Seikatsu Club Consumers' Cooperative Union (SCCCU)
There are about 500 consumers’ cooperatives in Japan. From Hokkaido in the north to Hyogo in the south, the Seikatsu Club Consumers' Co-operative Union, (hereafter SCCCU) which consists of an association of 32 consumer co-operatives active in 21 administrative divisions (prefectures) of Japan, has altogether about 340,000 members, most of whom are women. In addition, there are six associated companies, including a milk factory.
The SCCU carries out the development, purchasing, distribution, and inspection of consumer materials (food, general daily goods, clothes, publications), and publishes PR and ordering information for pre-order collective purchase. In addition, the entire union works on problems such as GMOs and the environmental hormones issue by setting up committees and establishing projects which are run by SC members and SCCU staff.
The SCCCU member unit is based on the independent branches, all of which have independent management and activities. Seikatsu Club funding is from the members, who make monthly contributions of 1000 yen per person. These investments are the foundation of our healthy financial management.
Established: March 12, 1990
Name: Seikatsu Club Consumers' Co-operative Union
Location: KDX Shinjuku 6-chome Building , 6-24-20 Shinjuku, Shinjuku Ku, Tokyo, Japan 160-0022
Chairperson: Koichi Kato
Executive Director: Yoshiyuki Fukuoka
Managing Director: Takayuki Watanabe
Total membership of independent co-operatives (as of 2011)
- Number of independent member co-operatives: 32 and 1 Insurance Cooperative Union
- Number of members: 344,788
- Membership according to organizational structure: Approximately 100,000 small groups ("Han"); 180,000 house to house delivery members; 50,000 Depots (shops) and Welfare Clubs (house to house delivery)
- Full-time Staff: The SCCU has a staff of 104 (approximately 1,300 if the staff of the co-operatives and associated companies are included)
- Annual turnover: 86,100,000,000 yen (US$ 1,087,000,000)
- Accumulated Funds: 36,300,000,000 yen (US$459,000,000)
- Number of associated companies: 6